INFORMATION SHEET FOR PARTICIPANTS
REC Reference Number: PNM/12/13-156
A Survey Study of Sexual Orientation, Handedness, and Fraternal Birth Order.
We would like to invite you to participate in this postgraduate research project. You should only participate if you want to; choosing not to take part will not disadvantage you in any way. Before you decide whether you want to take part, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what your participation will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and discuss it with others if you wish. Ask us if there is anything that is not clear or if you would like more information.
• The objective of this study is to look at how developmental processes might influence sexuality. Specifically, we aim to test whether traits like whether you are right or left handed and family size are related to gender and sexuality. Your participation will increase our knowledge of how gender and sexuality develops because we believe they are core parts of human identity and worthy of understanding.
• We are looking for gay, lesbian and heterosexual male and female volunteers over the age of 16 for a research study on development.
• The study will involve one online survey which includes questions which ask about your sexuality, childhood behaviors, family composition, and whether you are right handed or left handed. Overall, this study should last no longer than 20 minutes.
• Some questions may be of a personal nature, which some people may find sensitive, embarrassing or upsetting. For instance, we ask questions such as “How many opposite-sex sexual partners you have had during your entire lifetime?” Other questions include items such as “how many older sisters do you have?” and “how often did you experiment with cosmetics and jewellery as a child?”
• If you are uncomfortable answering any questions, please skip it or withdraw from the study at any time. If you wish to withdraw the data once you have submitted the study, you will have to email the researcher with either the start or end time of completing the survey.
• If you would like a copy of the final report, please contact the researcher. This will be sent when the report is complete. Please be aware this may take over a year.
• Your data will be collected anonymously and only the researchers will have access to the raw data.
• The findings from the data collected from this study will be disseminated in a PhD thesis, peer reviewed articles, and a conference presentation.
It is up to you to decide whether to take part or not. If you decide to take part you are still free to withdraw from the study at any time and without giving a reason. You may also withdraw any data/information you have already provided up until it is transcribed for use in the final report. Submission of a completed questionnaire implies consent to participate (by pressing ‘done’). Partially completed questionnaires will not be analysed.
If you have any questions or require more information about this study, please contact the researcher using the following contact details: Mariana Kishida, Guy’s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT (email@example.com).
If this study has harmed you in any way, you can contact King's College London using the details below for further advice and information: Dr. Qazi Rahman, Guy’s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT (firstname.lastname@example.org).